College basketball: What we schooled about Villanova, Purdue, Oklahoma and some-more on another crazy Saturday
January 21, 2018 - Basketballs
Here’s what we schooled Saturday in college basketball:
1. If we had to collect dual teams currently that could/should be in a Final Four they would be Villanova and Purdue.
The Wildcats dominated UConn in Hartford. Jalen Brunson scored 23. There is unequivocally zero catastrophic to contend about a Wildcats. Villanova shares a round and answers each challenge. Purdue positively crushed Iowa in Iowa City by 23. The Boilermakers are rolling. Both of these teams merit to be No. 1 seeds today.
2. Duke is behind to personification like it did in November.
The Blue Devils can stagger chosen scorers with Marvin Bagley III, Gary Trent Jr. and Wendell Carter Jr. Duke has had a good report so distant to get healthy with dual games against Pitt. While a Blue Devils’ invulnerability isn’t as miserly as contend Virginia (hardly), they can outscore we and bruise we inside. That can be adequate to win opposite many teams.
3. Trae Young can't take Oklahoma to a Final Four, let alone a Big 12 pretension by himself.
The marvellous beginner and Player of a Year favorite scored 48 points and had 8 assists in an overtime loss during Oklahoma State. But he took 39 shots! He also had 7 turnovers. He had 12 progressing in a week in a detriment during Kansas State. Young has to get that underneath control for Oklahoma.
4. Kansas should be adored to win a 14th-straight Big 12 title.
The Jayhawks beat Baylor behind Malik Newman’s 24 points, improving their record to 6-1 in a Big 12, including a win during West Virginia. Sorry, though a rest of a teams in a quarrel had their possibility to stay with a Jayhawks. The joining is too good and offset for someone else to stay on pace. Texas Tech and Oklahoma now have 3 losses. West Virginia has two, putting measureless vigour on a Mountaineers to win during Kansas on Feb. 17. The Mountaineers kick Texas and Texas Tech mislaid to Iowa State on Saturday.BRACKET CHALLENGE GAME
Get a conduct start on a central NCAA Bracket Challenge Game.
5. Kansas State is a aristocrat of a bubble.
The Wildcats swept home games this week opposite Oklahoma and TCU to pierce to 4-3 in a Big 12 and 14-5 overall. The TCU win gives Kansas State a second plot 1 win.
6. Wichita State is anticipating out a American is not a Missouri Valley.
The Shockers mislaid during home to SMU and then again Saturday during Houston. Catching Cincinnati might be moot.
7. Houston can be a dangerous group if Rob Gray goes off like he did opposite Wichita State. He scored 24 points and he has a operation to be tough to guard. The Cougars are now a hazard to plea Cincinnati with dual games to go opposite a Bearcats.
8. But Cincinnati has a demeanour of being a close to win a American.
The Bearcats were widespread again in a league, rocking East Carolina by 26.
9. SMU had a season-changing week.
The Mustangs knocked off Wichita State on a road, and afterwards beat Tulane handily.
10. UCF can’t locate a break.
11. Ohio State needs Kaleb Wesson to sojourn productive. The Buckeyes’ large male scored 15 points and had 8 play in a win over Minnesota during Madison Square Garden. Keita Bates-Diop is a Big Ten Player of a Year favorite though Wesson gives Ohio State a anchor inside they desperately need.
12. Rhode Island is a close to win a A-10.
This is removing repeated though contingency be beaten home. The Rams are a same group during home or on a road. They won during Dayton, a same mark where St. Bonaventure lost. Don’t be astounded if a Rams run a list in a A-10.
13. Dylan Windler had himself a good diversion for Belmont.
He scored 31 points and done 7 3s in a Bruins’ Ohio Valley showdown win over Austin Peay. Belmont stays atop a standings during 7-1.
14. Welcome behind to a NCAA-bid discussion, Providence.
The Friars swept a span of home games opposite Butler and Creighton. Suddenly, a once-struggling Friars are 5-2 in a Big East.
15. Arizona is a transparent favorite in a Pac-12.
Old tweets will haunt me, I’m sure. Arizona State looked like a group to kick when a Wildcats were struggling. Well, all is good again in Tucson. Arizona swept a Bay Area schools, beating Stanford behind Dusan Ristic’s 18 points.
16. The many considerable highway win might have been Xavier beating Seton Hall by 9 in New Jersey.
Xavier did get shamed during Villanova. But a Musketeers and J.P. Macura (27 points) are behind to looking like an Elite Eight-type team.
17. South Carolina unsuccessful to emanate momentum.
The Gamecocks knocked off Kentucky during home progressing in a week, usually to remove to a peculiarity Tennessee during home by seven. The Gamecocks have a towering to stand to get behind to a NCAA contest picture, and losing home games is not in a equation.
18. Auburn valid it’s a contender by beating Georgia.
The Tigers didn’t let a Alabama detriment impact them a diversion after by dispatching a Bulldogs by 13 behind Bryce Brown’s 26 points.
19. Texas AM isn’t passed yet.
The Aggies hold Missouri to 49 points for their second true win in a SEC.
20. Arkansas always creates these games interesting.
The Hogs, behind Jaylen Barford’s 23 points, outlasted Ole Miss 97-93 during Bud Walton Arena.
21. Clemson did what a contender does and won at home.
The Tigers beat Notre Dame 67-58 to pierce to 5-2 in a ACC, days after losing during North Carolina (which also had a plain week by violence a Tigers and afterwards Georgia Tech during home).
22. Florida State distant itself from Virginia Tech.
The Seminoles got a much-needed win over a Hokies to pierce a diversion forward in a standings. FSU looks like it will be on a bubble. Virginia Tech does not.
MARCH MADNESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
JOIN THE TEAM.
23. Colorado usually can’t get on a roll.
The Buffaloes couldn’t get a home brush of a Washington schools. The Huskies won in Boulder to pierce to 4-3 in a Pac-12. Colorado forsaken to 4-4. That’s not an NCAA contest look.
24. The Mountain West is going to have a calamity scheduling makeup games for Air Force.
The Falcons had to postpone Saturday’s diversion opposite Fresno State due to a supervision shutdown. The Falcons had usually won dual games in a quarrel on a road. Air Force is during Utah State on Wednesday and hosts Boise State on Jan. 27. If a shutdown lasts another week it could be catastrophic for rescheduling these games in February.
25. Don’t demeanour now though USC is 6-2 in a Pac-12 after sweeping a Oregon schools on a road.
For all a Trojans’ issues this season, USC has found a approach to be in quarrel scarcely median by joining play.
26. Florida is now a group to kick in a SEC.
The Gators don’t do things simply nor though drama. But a Gators’ 66-64 win during Kentucky puts Florida during 6-1 in a SEC, atop a standings. Florida already has 3 highway wins in a SEC. Kentucky shockingly now has dual waste in a quarrel in a SEC and forsaken to 4-3 in a league.
27. Alabama can win though Collin Sexton.
The Tide won dual in a quarrel this week though a star beginner (abdominal strain), violence Auburn and Mississippi State during home. Alabama is now 5-2 in a SEC and in a thick of a quarrel competition after winning 4 in a row.
28. Conference USA usually got a lot some-more interesting.
Middle Tennessee State won during Western Kentucky 66-62 to pierce into a first-place tie with a Hilltoppers during 6-1. Western Kentucky earnings a diversion on Mar 1 — a diversion that could confirm a regular-season pretension and No. 1 mark in a Conference USA tournament. Of course, Old Dominion needs to lose, too. The Monarchs are tied during 6-1, too, after winning during Florida Atlantic. ODU’s usually detriment is to Western Kentucky. The Monarchs horde Middle on Feb. 1. They don’t have to go to Middle Tennessee though do still go to Western Kentucky.
Here’s what to watch for on Sunday:
Rutgers during Michigan, 12 p.m. ET, BTN: The Scarlet Knights rolled over Iowa during home while a Wolverines mislaid during Nebraska. Rutgers could play a spoiler hurl in a second half of a Big Ten season. The Scarlet Knights are gifted adequate to do so.
Miami during NC State, 12 p.m. ET, ACC Network: The Hurricanes are anticipating to equivocate a dissapoint bug during NC State, where a Wolfpack have already beaten Duke and Clemson this season.
Boston College during Louisville, 12 p.m. ET, ACC Network: The Eagles have a ensure play with Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson to kick a Cardinals. But a problem is outward of a one-point detriment during Virginia, BC hasn’t been a same group on a highway as during home. This could be a good diversion to change that narrative. Louisville is sensitively usually one diversion behind of Virginia in a ACC pretension chase.
Vermont during Hartford, 1 p.m. ET, ESPN3: No joke, this is a risk diversion for a America East first-place Catamounts. Vermont has won 8 in a row. But Hartford is dual games behind and already knocked off Albany on a road.
Virginia during Wake Forest, 6 p.m. ET, ESPNU: The Cavaliers are a usually remaining dominant group in ACC play and they have won 9 in a row. Wake Forest has a distance to be an emanate for a Cavaliers. But a Demon Deacons have mislaid 4 in a quarrel and 6 of seven.
Andy Katz is an NCAA.com correspondent. Katz worked during ESPN for 18 years as a college basketball reporter, horde and anchor. Katz has lonesome each Final Four given 1992, and a competition given 1986 as a beginner during Wisconsin. He is a former boss of a United States Basketball Writers Association. Follow him on Twitter at @theandykatz.
The views on this page do not indispensably simulate a views of a NCAA or a member institutions.