College basketball tip 25 schedule: Bubbles prepared to pop, joining titles on line
February 17, 2017 - Basketballs
College basketball’s biggest diversion of a weekend is a 1 p.m. ET tip on Saturday on CBS, third-ranked Kansas personification during fourth-ranked Baylor. It has intensity to be intensely good. Remember, Baylor gave KU a critical lift progressing this month.
The Jayhawks have famously finished atop a Big 12 unchanging deteriorate standings an inconceivable 12 years in a row. A win during Baylor would finish a brush of a Bears, substantially henceforth lift BU off a 1 line, and close adult No. 13 for Bill Self.
But that diversion is not a customarily one with regular-season championship implications. There are a handful of teams who can undisguised bind titles, and others who will pledge themselves during slightest a share of a regular-season climax if they can win this weekend. Seem too soon? It’s not. This is a penultimate weekend of college hoops in a unchanging season. Can we trust we’re already roughly to March? Why does any deteriorate fly by so quickly?
Here’s where we’re during with a teams who’ve finished best. Belmont (Ohio Valley) and Monmouth (MAAC) clinched their joining titles on Thursday night. What does this mean? Well, being a regular-season champion in your joining earns we automatic, imperative gift for at-large contention in a NCAA Tournament preference committee’s room subsequent month (if we don’t win your joining tournament). And we will be, during a unequivocally least, in a NIT.
Here are teams looking to close adult 1 seeds in their contention tournaments. Below that, a demeanour during a 6 many intriguing games — outward of Baylor-KU — this weekend.
VERMONT: The Catamounts are 24-5, undefeated in a America East (14-0) and will bind a joining pretension undisguised with a home win Saturday over Albany. UVM’s underrated. If a Cats don’t remove another game, they should be in contention for a 12 seed. They’d be flirting with top-50 standing during KenPom by that point, and as of now their RPI is a important 53. Keep an eye on a Catamounts, and yet they’re improved than many realize, shutting with Albany and Stony Brook — a dual toughest opponents in a joining — is interesting. Both are on Vermont’s home floor, however.
GONZAGA: The Bulldogs are a certainty to win during home over 10-18 Pacific on Saturday night. That will get GU to 28-0 and strictly bind a conference, as Gonzaga owns a tiebreaker over Saint Mary’s due to a brush of a Gaels. (Saint Mary’s, by a way, has an engaging highway diversion during BYU on Saturday.) If we haven’t review Parrish’s mainstay on since all we consider we know about Gonzaga being an underachiever in Mar is wrong, you gotta do that.
AKRON: The Zips were likely to be a best group in a MAC, and they’ve incited out to be customarily that. Now sitting with a 22-4 record and a 12-1 symbol in a conference, a win over Kent State on Friday night would meant during slightest a share of a MAC East, yet a existence is Akron is going to run divided with this league. No other group has fewer than 5 waste in a 12-team league.
BUCKNELL: The Patriot League’s best group customarily mislaid during Loyola (MD) this week, yet violence Boston U. on a highway would be a clincher. Bucknell is 12-3 in a conference, while BU is 11-4 and already mislaid once to Bucknell. A win thatch adult during slightest a share for a Bison.
VILLANOVA: Yes, Villanova is indeed means of shutting adult a Big East this weekend. The Wildcats are perplexing to go 16-2 in a contention 4 years in a row. If VU can lift that off, it will be a conspicuous feat, something that will mount customarily behind final year’s inhabitant pretension in terms of many considerable accomplishments for this module in a new Big East. Nova plays during Seton Hall on Saturday. It’s a pretence spot, as Seton Hall’s on a burble and has a talent to win this. But if Villanova gets a feat it will be 3 wins transparent of Butler, Creighton and Xavier in a detriment mainstay with 3 games to go.
FLORIDA GULF COAST: The Eagles scarcely mislaid their coach, Joe Dooley, to NC State … final offseason. In box we forgot, Dooley flirted with apropos a lead partner underneath Mark Gottfried. He apparently done a right decision, as Dooley will be in position for a pursuit upgrade, if he wants it, this offseason — if FGCU keeps going. This weekend, Dunk City clinches a share of a Atlantic Sun pretension with a win over squalid USC Upstate, and can win a contention undisguised if Lipscomb loses to Jacksonville.
MOUNT ST. MARY’S: With a 12-3 NEC mark, a Mountaineers will have during slightest a share of a contention pretension if they can win during Fairleigh Dickinson. Remember, it was FDU that dumbfounded a contention and got a automobile bid final year. The NEC is customarily flattering thespian come March.
Six many intriguing games aside from KU-Baylor
1. Virginia-North Carolina (8:15 ET, ESPN): The Tar Heels have a heartless final widen to a unchanging season, afterwards have to understanding with a ACC tournament. They’ll conduct to Virginia in reduction than dual weeks for a behind finish of a home-and-home. UVa is slumping. The Wahoos let Jayson Tatum clean them divided progressing this week, holding a home detriment to Duke and losing any possibility of winning a ACC in a process. Big symbol for Virginia, that has a astuteness to take this one, yet North Carolina still feels like a top-five group in a nation in terms of talent and experience.
2. Maryland during Wisconsin (1 ET, Sunday, CBS): Both teams are tied atop a joining standings in a Big Ten. It’s a outrageous symbol for both, as any group needs a win to accumulate resume validity. In terms of a Big Ten, this game, and more, you need to see what we laid out here.
3. Villanova during Seton Hall (12:30 ET, FOX): In a preseason, we likely that Hall’s Angel Delgado would be a many arguable double-double in a country. Well, we didn’t comment for Caleb Swanigan. But Delgado’s insanely underrated, as he’s putting adult 15.2 points and 13.2 rebounds, and since of him — along with Khadeen Carrington — a Hall has a shot to get behind to a NCAAs. Villanova should get pushed tough here. I’m fervent for this one, since SHU’s been off a radar all season.
4. Michigan State during Purdue (4 ET, ESPN): Caleb Swanigan is perplexing to keep gait with Josh Hart and Frank Mason (maybe Lonzo Ball and Nigel Williams-Goss) for inhabitant Player of a Year. Huge symbol here, and he competence be means to take advantage of MSU down low, yet don’t consider Nick Ward and Miles Bridges aren’t going to uncover up. This is a big-time symbol for Sparty; a win here would be MASSIVE for Tom Izzo’s hopes of removing to a NCAAs for a 20th true season.
5. USC during UCLA (10 ET, Pac-12 Network): The Bruins need a win to keep their hopes adult for eventually alighting a 2 seed, while USC’s inhabitant form would get a outrageous boost if they could lift off this highway dissapoint in joining play. This diversion will be in a high 80s/90s, and Lonzo Ball is always value staying adult for. Flip behind and onward between a start of this diversion and a finish of a NBA asperse contest. Which do we consider will be some-more entertaining? It’s unequivocally a toss-up.
6. Kentucky during Georgia (6 ET, ESPN): Just keep an eye on this one. Even yet Georgia’s not been good this season, that building will substantially be packed, and Kentucky’s got the possibility right here to infer it’s entirely in stride. we wish to see how Malik Monk and De’Aaron Fox play opposite UGA, that has talent as well. we consider this one will be in doubt with 3 mins to go.