College basketball today: Kentucky hosts Louisville, Kansas opens Big 12 play during Texas
December 29, 2017 - Basketballs
Here’s what we need to know for Friday, Dec. 29:
1. The diversion of a day is Louisville during Kentucky, that never, ever disappoints. Well, this diversion has a twist. No Rick Pitino. Instead, David Padgett gets to go into Rupp Arena. This is a fan adversary during this stage, some-more than anything else. The fan bases wish zero some-more than to see their group win. Still, as Kentucky manager John Calipari pronounced dual weeks ago during a sit-down talk with NCAA.com, it doesn’t matter who a conduct manager is on possibly side.
This diversion comes during a time of need for both programs. Kentucky needs some certain movement and simply to urge good after losing to UCLA final Saturday in New Orleans. The Wildcats are still looking for a unchanging playmaker and to find their go-to man when they need a basket many (there are copiousness of candidates). On a Louisville side, Ray Spalding is entrance off a superb opening opposite Grand Canyon, scoring 21 points and grabbing 16 boards. Who emerges as a star Friday? Spalding, Deng Adel or Quentin Snider for Louisville? Kevin Knox, Hamidou Diallo or Quade Green for Kentucky? Or someone else? This is a diversion that creates memories in a Commonwealth.
2. The diversion of a night is Kansas during Texas. The Longhorns could startle a Big 12 by promulgation a 13-straight discussion champs off to an 0-1 start. Kansas’ debility is inside abyss (until Silvio De Sousa gets cleared). Texas’ strength comes from Mo Bamba inside. But a X cause has been one of a many unchanging and unheralded players this deteriorate — Dylan Osetkowski. Texas’ heading scorer, Andrew Jones, who has missed a final 4 games with a fractured wrist, will be a game-time decision, according to a Longhorns. If he’s behind and effective that is a diversion changer for Texas. Kansas has never wavered in big-time situations, generally in a league. This is Shaka Smart’s many critical Big 12 diversion to date, though there’s expected going to be copiousness some-more large games this deteriorate for a group that has a look, feel and potentially plain resume to be in a field.
One of a biggest rivalries in college basketball…
Louisville vs Kentucky.
— NCAA Mar Madness (@marchmadness) December 29, 2017
3. Is Oklahoma State a contender or pretender? The Cowboys horde West Virginia in a Big 12 opener. This is a Cowboys group that kick Florida State, handing a Seminoles their usually detriment of a season. West Virginia manager Bob Huggins pronounced on a NCAA.com podcast Mar Madness 365 that maybe a usually reason Oklahoma State was picked 10th in a discussion was given no one knew how a Cowboys would satisfactory in Mike Boynton’s initial season. Well, Huggins said, he would finish that conjecture right now, adding how tender he was with a Cowboys after examination them on tape. He praised Jeffrey Carroll, too. Oklahoma State could start upsetting teams projected to finish forward of a Cowboys in a standings with a win over a Mountaineers. West Virginia starts out during OSU and during Kansas State. A brush or separate would do wonders for a chances for a top-two Big 12 finish.
4. Baylor during Texas Tech is a subdivision game. These dual teams seem extremely identical so distant this season. Baylor and Texas Tech have had some wins that should aver NCAA consideration. The doubt will be who can hoard some-more highway wins in a Big 12. That’s where a subdivision could start come March. These dual could be like a lot of Big 12 teams this season, that finish adult bursting a dual games opposite any other in discussion play. This feels like a finish toss-up game.
— Baylor Basketball (@BaylorMBB) December 29, 2017
5. Does USC have staying power? Let’s see if a Trojans have it after winning a Diamond Head Classic Monday night in Honolulu. The Trojans seemed to have incited their deteriorate around with a wins over Middle Tennessee State and New Mexico State, a latter one opposite a group that had only given Miami it’s initial detriment of a season. Bennie Boatright scored 33 points and done 6 3s in a win over a Aggies. Will Washington’s section give him those looks? The Huskies have a length in their section to be disruptive and enter their Pac-12 opener as some-more than a spoiler in a conference. The Huskies should have visions of a top-five finish and they could spot a contest bid with their win over Kansas as explanation they have it in them to win high-level games in discussion play.
— USC Men’s Basketball (@USC_Hoops) December 26, 2017
Andy Katz is an NCAA.com correspondent. Katz worked during ESPN for 18 years as a college basketball reporter, horde and anchor. Katz has lonesome each Final Four given 1992, and a competition given 1986 as a beginner during Wisconsin. He is a former boss of a United States Basketball Writers Association. Follow him on Twitter at @theandykatz.
The views on this page do not indispensably simulate a views of a NCAA or a member institutions.